Transmission Conversion by the Experts
Performance vehicles are the ultimate toy for driving excitement. We’ll help you with your transmission conversion by swapping out your old manual transmission or 3-speed automatic and replacing it using our bolt-on Tremec 5 or 6 speed transmission bundle. We include everything from the transmission, clutch, hydraulic conversions, and electronic components. The result is an increase in your vehicles performance and value.
American V8’s sound great when you hit the gas, but most imports will give you a run for your money unless you have something special under the hood. The first place to get moving faster is your transmission, as it optimizes your engines power.
In the 1960’s and 70’s muscle cars only came with 4 speed manuals or 3 speed automatics. These old school gearboxes are now 40 to 50 years old, and repairing them is more costly than purchasing a new one, that bolts right in.
We’ll show you the best options to make your car go faster, shift better, reduce engine wear, and be more fun to drive.
Some advantages to converting to a manual transmission are:
- More Efficient Highway Cruising at Today's Speed Limits. Back in the day we used to use horse drawn carriages and went about 10 miles per hour. Then we got 3 speed transmissions and were able to achieve speeds of up ot 55 miles per hour. But today most highways allow up to 70-80 miles per hour.
- Faster Acceleration. With more gears to match the HP and torque of the motor you get faster acceleration!
- Increased Fuel Economy. A result of lower RPM's at cruising speed. According to Consumer Reports (July 2015) replacing an old automatic transmission with a new 5 or 6 speed transmission will result in better mileage, from 2-5 miles per gallon.
- Extended Cruising Range. With increased gas mileage you can drive further on every tank!
- Reduce Engine RPM’s and Wear. Because the engine doesn't turn as many RPMs it won't wear out as quickly.
We have transmission conversion kits for hot rods and muscle cars. Start by identifying your vehicle and engine, the transmission choices are listed below:
After you select your engine and transmission, our site will help you identify and select all the correct driveline parts. Making your swap an easy experience that will give you years of motoring enjoyment and increase the value of your car too.
Transmission Bundles by Dederichs Mortorsports and 1ShopAuto
Here are some additional tips or explanations for selecting driveline options:
Aluminum or steel flywheels are simple. For strictly street applications stay with steel, aluminum is much lighter and best suited for competition-use only.
Hydraulic throw-out-bearings simplify header installations for cramped space in the driveline tunnel. These have one simple hose that are easily routed around the exhaust headers, self-adjusting and make shifting easier, quicker and lighter than old style linkage.
Engine mounts, cross members, pilot bearings and various adapters or electrical couplings are all identified for your specific make and model.
Each new transmission has a larger output shaft that will require a new “yoke” to attach the driveshaft to the rear-end differential.
These complete transmission conversion kits are available to order online today. Custom shifters and modified gears are also available but may take a few weeks to build. Transmission Conversion Kits
For help selecting any parts or customization please contact Sales@1shopauto.com
This post was written by Joseph Dederichs and Alan Brown